Tuesday 17 April 2012

Can't Buy Me Love by Maggie Marr


I received a copy of this book courtesy of the publisher from NetGalley.

Information:
Title: Can’t Buy Me Love
Author: Maggie Marr
Publisher: NLA Digital Liaison Platform
Target Audience : Adult
Length : 144 pages

Story: Everyone knows that Cole Jackson is lethal--in his charm and in his reputation as ruthless media mogul and one of the world's great CEOs. A fact his former executive assistant Meg Parson has learned firsthand. He's the one who banished her from his executive suite with no explanation. 

Determined to secure her long awaited promotion within Comnet, Meg Parson is back and can deliver the one deal Cole Jackson has always wanted and could never get. This deal is Meg's ticket to the top. Now Meg must juggle this high-stakes deal with her unfathomable attraction to her former boss--an attraction Meg has denied for three years. An attraction which raises painful memories from her past. An attraction that Meg's boss Cole seems to share. If Meg can't pull off this multi-media merger, not only is her career at stake but also her heart.

Thoughts and impressions: First things first in this review: this one is a very personal review. I suppose that they’re always personal, but in this case it goes one step further. This book worked very well for me today in my current mood. I’ve been craving a good romance for a week or so now but the ones that I’ve read have not managed to tick all my boxes. This one came so very close to having ticked them all that it really tickled my fancy!

I almost never read books like this. If I feel like romance then I tend to read either historical or paranormal romance. It is very rare that I’ll read contemporary romance and most of the time I don’t really like it. I have to admit that this particular contemporary romance is fairly ‘safe’ – it follows a set list of plot devices that make it very cliché. Had I read this on another day when I was in another, less forgiving, mood, the story probably wouldn’t have worked so well for me.

As it is, happy circumstances mean that I was able to thoroughly enjoy the story of this in-office romance between two very damaged individuals. Of course, they are both the standard damaged characters: he, Cole, was betrayed by family he trusted so now he doesn’t let anyone get close; she, Meg, was dragged around the country in her youth by a mother who couldn’t keep her legs together. Each is attracted to the other but determined to fight the attraction: he because he doesn’t want to become any more dependent on her than he already is; she because she doesn’t want people to think that she slept her way to a better position within the company.

Add to this a business owner who’s not quite ready to let go of his baby, his wife who wants him to herself for the rest of their time together, a business rival who wants what Cole has and is willing to use nefarious means to get it, and you’ve got your base pieces for this story. It really doesn’t get much more complicated than that.

It’s a good, quick read for any who fancies a light corporate romance.

Style: My copy had some formatting issues that meant there were no spaces between words. This made it hard to figure out what was being said at times, but other than that it was good.

Final verdict: In this case, I was able to really enjoy the book due to my current mood when I read it. Another mood could very well have led to a different verdict. But thankfully I enjoyed this light romance. 4 stars

Extra notes: Both bad language and sex are present.


1 comment:

  1. Hey. I have to say I'm a sucker for a good romance...though I do prefer historical...paranormal not so much... Since you liked this particular contemporary romance (whether due to mood or not), why not try the Little Black Dress series especially the one's by the author Rachel Gibson? Anyway, this sounds like a book i'd enjoy!

    Here's a link to my profile: http://sasha-thelifetimesofsasha.blogspot.com/

    Looking forward to a comment
    Note: go easy on me, I'm new! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi - thank you for commenting. I love comments. What's more, I'm a big believer in comment karma! :) If you leave a comment, I will do my best to get back to you and leave a comment on your blog in turn (please keep in mind that this may take a few days!).